Sunday, January 11, 2009

Heidi's week #2 progress

Hello my fellow resolution-ers! I can't believe we're already about 2 weeks into 2009. Crazy! Overall, I'm feeling OK. There were some that I crashed & burned on last week (like B10), but there were others that I felt really good about (like B7). Here's my progress:

TOP 5 GOALS FOR 2009:
1. To be able to see myself and others as Jesus sees us.
I think I've lost my focus the past few days, but overall, I have felt myself inch more toward this goal. I need to remember to pray fervently for help with this every day and night.
2. To serve others more often and more cheerfully.
I watched Robyn's kids for about 3 hours the other day, so that was nice to do, but again there is so much I am not doing.
3. STOP attacking my face, arms, and legs by popping zits.
I can't say I've been perfect on this, but I have YET to break the "no sitting on the counter or leaning towards any mirror" rule and I know it has helped so much. I know this blog has helped, too, because I want to be more accountable. I did pop Jason's zits this week, so I need to STOP doing that. I did pop a few of mine, too, but it was from far away from the mirror and I only popped one or two.
4. Media: Avoid media with swearing, sex, or violence. Use my precious time to SEEK OUT wholesome music, inspirational books, TV, and movies.
HMmm - it was not the best. I listened to too many songs in the car that were not inspirational, and we watched "the curious case of benjamin button" yesterday. Not that it wasn't entertaining, but I can't say it was inspirational at all and I can say that there were definitely some parts that I should have left for!
5. To pray and read my scriptures every day.
I think I was 6 for 7 this week, but I need to do better at not just reading, but APPLYING. I'm reading in the New Testament and I'm loving reading my Savior's words, but I need to be like the wise man and apply his words, not just read them. I also need to take more time for fervent prayer - and listen for His answers

"B" GOALS (important, but not top 5):
1. Prayerfully attend the temple no less than 10 times.
We have planned for the 24th to do our temple switch with the Warrens.
2. Stay out of debt and Pay tithing and generous fast offering every month.
We paid a good fast offering this month. no income, so no tithing.
3. Write in my journal once a week (doesn't include blogging)
I wrote twice in my journal this week. Hooray! I know it helps me - especially since I've been so frustrated with my girls' sleep schedules, McKinley's accidents, and her banging on her bedroom door. It's nice to vent to my journal.
4. 1 anniversary vacation, 3 family vacations (includes camping), 1 "lovers get-away", and 1 "girls only" getaway!
We have a schedule for our "girls only" getaway to Phoenix! Hooray! I really hope it all works out.
5.When fasting, start the night before (5pm Sat-5pm Sun)
I KNOW my fasting has helped me do better with my goals this month. Truly, it has strengthened me.
6.Write at least one "love note" from God every night.
5 for 7. Not perfect this week, but OK. I did write down some amazing things, though, that I wouldn't necessarily have remembered - protecting us as we were driving down the freeway and I was on the phone and there was a Christmas tree in the middle of the freeway that I had to slam on my breaks and swerve to miss. Also, McKinley & Michael taking a shower decided to plug the stopper and Ireland was in there. I didn't check as often as I should've because I figured it was a shower, so no problem, but I go in there and the water is almost to the top and Ireland could have SO EASILY gone under! I've had so many wonderful love notes from God this week - not only safety, but GORGEOUS sunrises, sunsets, and moons.
7. Get our food storage and 72 hour kids up to par.
Jason went to Emergency Essentials this week and spent $600 getting stuff for our 72 hour kits & food storage. We still need some more food for the girls and cash and clothes for our 72 hour kits, but we are making so much progress!
8. Appreciate my loved ones more.
I did e-mail dad more this week. That's probably about the only good thing. I lost my temper with McKinley last night probably worse than it's ever been. She was in her room banging on her door for an hour and a half before I went in and gave her a spanking. It ended up being multiple spankings because she kept banging. Ohhh it was a frustrating night. I was crying, McKinley was crying. ug. I did hold her tight today, though, and made sure that she knows how much I love her - even when I'm upset.
9. On the computer no more than 1 hr a day (except newsletter/slideshow days)
This week was baaad for this. Not only am I bad about being on the computer when the girls are awake (I wanted to only be on the computer when they're asleep), but I've been on way too long. I need to keep track and do better.
10. Keep Word of Wisdom: Bed by 10pm, eat fruits and veggies and each meal and for snacks, exercise 4x a week.
This was the WORST! Ug. I am sitting here with strep throat. I've been cough/congestion sick for 2 weeks and this tops it all off. Hooray. I can't say for sure it's the reason, but I probably only got to bed by 10 2 nights this week, I'm a little better about fruits & veggies (but Uncle Richard's stocking candy is KILLING me! I eat it sOoooo much! - I need to ask Jason to hide it, give it away, or trash it), but I only exercised twice this week. TWICE! That should go to show all you who think I'm an exercising maniac that I'm not. Hopefully I will get the Z-pack tomorrow & spend next week getting better on these goals.

"C" GOALS (work on these, but not at the expense of A or B)
1. Stop being so sarcastic.
I realized I made a sarcastic comment to Trisha on this blog. Come on people! Get after me! It's such an automatic thing, sometimes I forget. I need to pray for more help with this.
2. Meal plan for each week.
I did great this week at going through my recipe books, deciding on recipes, snacks, sides, etc and making a categorized shopping list. And then I forgot my list! I did OK, though, and we've had a few good meals this week, although when I'm sick the last thing I want to do is make meals.
3. Look for opportunities to share the gospel.
I haven't really found anyone yet, but I hope to be a good example.
4. Bear my testimony 6 times.
I bore my testimony at church this month
5. Plant a garden.
spring...
6. Put up a picture of the temple, the prophet and Jesus in our rooms.
Maybe if I'm feeling better tomorrow we can go to the distribution center and pick these up.
7. Keep up with the FLY lady - keep our home ready for visitors and keep the routine
Not horrible, but right now my house is definitely not guest-worthy. It doesn't help that I'm sick, but the weekends are usually worse anyway. I tend to get lazier when Jason's around and I just want to relax and cuddle with him.
8. Make Birthday Books for the girls
I didn't get scrapbooking done last week - I need to, but I did do a slideshow of our Hawaii trip! Horray!
9. Transfer all camcorder tapes to DVD
I'm hoping to have Jason's help transferring the firewire to the other computer today. that will help.
10. Date night w/ sweetie 3x a month
We went out yesterday. THANKS SO MUCH Mom!

FAMILY GOALS:
1. FHE once a week
We did have a FHE on preparedness this week. Again, short, but good!
2. Scriptures/conference/inspirational songs during breakfast
We've been better about this - not perfect - but we're at the part where Jesus comes to the Americas. It's so neat and McKinley even has made more comments about it as we eat.
3. Stay out of debt
Right now, we're good. I need to do the finances. Things are getting tight. We pray that Jason can find a new job soon and we can stay out of debt.
4. Move to a small town
We're hoping to do our "small town south" trip this weekend. We may end up not moving to a small town this year if the economy prevents it, but it's a goal and we will pray for the Father's guidance for our family.
5. Be on time to church every week.
I have strep. Jason isn't feeling good. Needless to say, we didn't make it this week.

1 comment:

  1. I too struggle with too much media influence. My hubby likes tv, but I like medical shows like House too much. We actually have watched all the seasons of Grey's Anatomy. I cheat and call it "together time". My kids know that they are in bed by 8:30, and dad and I get time alone. No whining. I love that they are older and I can stick to my guns on this one. I have put my foot down on certain movies, like the new Batman. I just tell David that they give me nightmares, which they do, and he respects that. Ususally he doesn't even bring it home. The Pentacostal Evangel has a rating system for movies, and if it says Disrespecting God I don't bring it home.
    Sorry to preach, but I am right there with you.

    ReplyDelete