Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Trisha's Resolution's

"Let me tell you something about goal setting. I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don’t set goals in our life and learn how to master the technique of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of our full potential. When one learns to master the principle of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life. " -Elder Russell Ballard

“For my part, I have concluded that the quality which sets one man apart from another—the factor which lifts one man to every achievement to which he reasonably aspires while the other is caught in the slough of mediocrity for all the years of his life—is not talent, nor formal education, nor luck, nor intellectual brilliance, but is rather the successful man’s greater capacity for self-discipline.” -Mr. Woodson

I am an emotional wreck. Seriously, I can't explain how many times I've found myself crying the past few months. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm crying for-like I'm PMSing all the time. I'm not pregnant-promise. I feel bad for Darrin because sometimes I blow up at him for no good reason and then I realize that later and feel so dumb.
I found myself praying the other day, "Dear God please make me less of a drama queen! I don't want to be one and I know I am!" (all of my family and friends are nodding their heads.) Why am I a drama queen? Well, probably because I am the baby of my family, I am very co-dependant, and I want things my way...and most of the time they don't go my way. That's when the tears start flowing.
I have been falling out of routines lately. It's hard with my job. Sometimes I have appointments at 7am and sometimes they go until midnight depending. My days are all jumbled so I find it hard to keep routines. (i.e. Scripture reading, cleaning, exercising, eating healthy, going to bed at a certain time and waking up at a certain time, reading a book for fun, checking my email, date nights, etc.) So, I've been beating myself up about it. Every day is different for me so how can I set scripture study's time for 9am when I have appointments? How can I eat healthy when I only have 5 minutes in between appointments to just hurry and grab a snack? How can I exercise regularly?
I know the answer. I can book my appointments around my set routines. But I try and work with other people's schedules and usually not my own.
Why am I writing all of this? Well, these have been some of my dilemmas. When the new year began to creep up, I started pondering (something I haven't done in a while) some solutions to my problems. What goals could I set to make my life more organized, to make me a happier person, and to better enjoy life, my husband and my relationship with my Heavenly Father?
Well, I've come up with some goals for 2009 and I'm not quite sure HOW I'm going to accomplish them all yet, but I'm determined to figure it out. If anyone has ideas of how I could accomplish these goals, let me know :).
Set aside part of one day of the week (Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday) to get cleaning done (Laundry, Dusting, Vacuuming, Straightening, Bathroom, Mop etc) I would rather get it all done in one day than to do one thing each day. I am a get it all done while I'm thinking about it kinda girl.
Put dishes in the dishwasher right after I use them (I've been pretty good about this-but I want to keep it up. It makes it so much easier!)
Fold laundry as I get it out of the drier
Read the book "And they were not Ashamed"
Personal Study when I wake up (whenever that may be)
Couple Study before we go to bed (Whatever time that may be)
Be IN BED (teeth brushed) by 11:45 (that's early for us)
Exercise 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri) for at least 20 minutes (I'm going to try Pilate's)
Wash my Face before bed (I'm really bad at this)
Do a home project once a week
Show/Develop Charity, "Pure Love of Christ"
Perfect Yeast Dough (I am not so great at making breads...I want to change this!) Make a bread at least once a month.
Put together all of my outfit scenarios and take pictures to put up around my closet (This way I wont spend so much time trying to decide what to wear and thinking that I have NOTHING to wear when there's a whole closet full in front of me!)
Learn how to make at least two Brazillian dishes (where Darrin served his mission)
Learn how to make at least two German Dishes (Where my Pops served)
100% Visiting Teaching
So, there you have it. Above are some of my goals. I appreciate the thought "Do not run faster than I have strength". I hope I can apply that to my life and I hope that I will become a happier, more organized person throughout 2009 and beyond. And I KNOW that with the help of my Heavenly Father and my Savior I CAN accomplish these things. God wants me to be more organized and happier and he will help me :)

6 comments:

  1. Hooray!~ I was beginning to think you were too perfect to have any goals ;)
    I loved your quotes (and that one that you re-used was so good I needed to hear it twice) and your goals are great. I know it is hard when you don't have the same routine everyday and I know you want to make everyone happy, but I promise you people don't mind so much if you tell them you have a committment that that time and ask if they can work (just a little bit) around your schedule. Unless, of course, it's me :)
    Love you! Here's my cheer for you:
    Go Trish Go
    We love you
    Go Trish Go
    To yourself (and God) be true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trisha, Trisha, Trisha... you are so AWESOME, I wish you realized how freakin' cool the rest of the world see's you. Please don't be so hard on yourself. It makes it more difficult to be happy and organized. If you figure out a good solution for the closet outfits, let me know. I need to do the same thing. I love you so much! You da' bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish, you are awesome. You are amazing and I can't believe that you do everything that you do. Don't over do it and realize you have a right to a life too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals Trisha, you make me tired just reading them! Don't beat yourself up about the changing schedule thing. Most couples take time to get into a routine. if you are a night person, then do your laundry at night. There is nothing to say that it has to be in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trisha,
    I am sorry. I got behind on my email and I am just now reading this blog. I feel bad that I haven't been there for you.
    - I know a bit about being an emotional wreck, about crying and about being a drama queen. I don't know about being a cosmetologist but I'm sure it's tough trying to catch every possible appointment. The only thing I can say about that through my years of guitar teaching it that once I set a schedule people work around it-- they appreciate it when every 3 - 4 months I am willing to bend for them.
    - When I beat myself up (like this afternoon's guilt gully) I find it invaluable to write down my junk and ask "Can I actually know that is true?"
    - Pondering is powerful. I love putting problems to paper then praying about them when I am busy with laundry or something.
    - I put up a shower rod by the dryer, add a wet sponge to the dryer and my clothes come out so much better!
    - Some mornings are crazy and I find that the tapes I have recorded with scriptures help me meet my personal study time and help me memorize favorite scriptures.
    - Lately Dan and I have gone out walking 2 – 3 times a week. It’s awesome
    - If you ever want to use my bread recipe you are welcome to. It rarely fails!! (will miracles never cease!) Also I have some easy, good German food recipie if you’d like.
    - Lately I have been taking my picture in the mirror with my cell phone if I wear something I like. It’s been fun and it’s easy to check my phone for ideas
    - Grandma Potts taught me about V.T. She went the first Friday of every month! I try to follow her example and it really helps.

    Trisha, you are beautiful inside and out and the desires of your heart are pure. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trisha-
    Sorry I've been so long in replying...you're wonderful. I'm so glad you're with us on this blog. I echo everyone else, beating yourself up will get you nowhere. As I read your words I thought of how similiar all of my thoughts are. I beat myself up so much when I don't do what I want myself to do. If I just remember that beating myself up and criticizing myself and others is a tactic of Satan...that helps me to stop sometimes. I agree with you that you should try to set hair appointments around YOUR schedule and only make an exception for special occations. Good Luck!!! Love ya little sis!

    ReplyDelete