Sunday, January 11, 2009

My top five...

So, I will take a page out of Heidi's book and do a top five list too, if this is okay. I have so many goals that I'm not sure I can focus very well, so this should help a little.

My top 5…
1.Get the kids to bed by 9:30 at the latest, get to bed by 11:00 myself.
2.Get up by 6:30 to 7:00 (Hey, I’m not a morning person and I deserve a little leeway right?)
3.Read the scriptures for at least 15 min. a day.
4.Exercise for 30 minutes four times a week.
5.Attend a heart to heart meeting once a week.

One last thought...today in stake conference a speaker talked about the people who spin plates. Kind of an odd subject, but he compared it to trying to improve ourselves. He said that a plate spinner must leave some plates to spin others. He or she can only spin one plate at a time and so each of us needs to remember that we need to let each of our goals be a focus one at a time. Does this make any sense or am I rambling. It sounded so good when he said it, I'm afraid I'm messing it all up. Anyway, mom said the same type of thing to me when she mentioned Ben Franklin and how he had a system of focusing on one goal for an entire week and moving on to another. FLY lady has the same option when she says that you can focus on one goal until you feel that you have it down for the most part and add to it by adding another goal...sort of like steps one building on another. Don't know if this makes any sense, but it helps me...

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the spinning plates and I think you explained it very well. I would also like to help you in your path to wake up earlier, that is...if you will help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES - I think getting the kids to bed should be #1. We're by no means perfect at it (McKinley had a huge hour and a half banging-on-the-door, screaming meltdown Saturday night), but I know that even with a hubby to help, I CRAVE and NEED that hour or two of no babies needing my attention, so I can do something for myself and prepare for the next day. It sounds like you still are having to deal with needs even after you put them down and I know your living situation doesn't allow for much leeway. Kalli & Tiarra seem old enough that they can get the medicine or the heat packs for themselves and not bother you.
    As far as Joshua goes, I think you are on the right track. It is NEVER, NEVER easy to let them cry, but if it will give you more sanity later on, hey, it's worth it, right?
    Last year, I tried to do the "one goal at a time thing." I chose one and tried to work on it for 14 days. I think my problem was really expecting perfection to really make it a habit and I only got 3 or 4 before I just felt like it was too hard, but I totally get your meaning.
    Wow. This was a long comment, sorry!
    I love you! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wonderful about keeping on. It takes 21 days to make a new habit, so don't give up on Joshua for 21 days. For my own kids I would just lay them down after tubs, blanket and towel in the dryer when they got out. So they go from a warm tub to warm jammies to warm blanket, to warm bed. That helps. We also do two songs and two bedtime stories. As far as the tummy aches and such, give them a pass out of bed. Once they use that pass there are no others. We also stopped the drinks at 7 pm, so their bladders are empty for sleep.
    Hope this helps, love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Josie, nice comments. I really liked them.

    Cindy, you beat me to the Benjamin Franklin thing. Nice job! Anyways, I love you and think you're doing a fantastic job! I can't wait to see you!

    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cindy,
    I know you made progress on bedtime at least once this last week. GREAT! Thanks for the schedule you gave us.

    ReplyDelete